While a lot has been researched about land issues and the land relations has been explored and continues to get explored by academicians, journalists and civil society actors, an in depth understanding of land acquisition processes and practices is needed. With changing land relations and developments surrounding land laws it is of immense importance to see how land acquisition is being performed in everyday affairs by land acquisition and revenue bureaucracy.
- Now Released: Please watch it here About The Film More than a hundred riverfront projects have already been planned in different Indian cities situated on rivers. These projects claim to transform riverbanks into recreational spaces for the public and to ‘beautify’ the urban rivers. The […]Continue reading
- A Preliminary Report on Patna Riverfront In recent years, a new generation of river-related developmental projects has received a strong push from central and state governments. After dubious claims of success in riverfront development projects on the Sabarmati river, the policymakers are now ready with […]Continue reading
[Public Meeting] Riverfront development projects and implications of NGT orders for people’s movementsContext Unprecedented flood situations occurred in many cities of the country and the world this year, severely affecting urban life. Today urbanization has become synonymous with the conversion of cultivable lands and commons into dense webs of concrete and asphalt and their transfer to private […]Continue reading
- People’s Resource Centre invites you to an online dialogue on the theme “Sinking Cities: River, City and Politics of water” to discuss how cities can become more responsible towards the rivers. Cities across India are threatened by an extreme water crisis. In recent years, cities […]Continue reading
- – Debapriya Chanda [This article was originally published in Citizen Matters] In recent times, one of the lasting representations of Kolkata in popular culture lies in an iconic scene from the film Piku, where Bhashkor Banerjee, played by Amitabh Bachchan, is seen riding a bicycle […]Continue reading
- – Debapriya Chanda and Nishant [This article was originally published in The Bastion] The exclusionary model of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation—one of India’s pioneering metro rails—is being replicated in the planning of metro projects in tier two cities like Patna. This one-size-fits-all approach to […]Continue reading